I used to order spicy chicken meatballs that I loved at a local restaurant until they discontinued them. That was definitely throwing down the gauntlet. There were some very specific and simple ingredients I was positive of….. This makes 8-10 meatballs so you may want to double/triple because they will be stolen from the plate as people pass.
- Ground chicken (check)
- Egg (check)
- Panko or bread crumbs (check)
- Salt & pepper (check)
- Parmesan (maybe check)
- Minced onions (guess)
- Oregano (guess) – or you can use Italian seasoning, but I ended up liking Oregano
- Cayenne pepper or “other spicy spice” (good guess)
So, I started with what I “knew” had to be constant ingredients. Below is what I ended up with after 3-4 test runs. Jackpot!
- Ground chicken – 1 pound
- Egg – 1 beaten
- Bread crumbs (because I had them and added 1/2 cup)
- Salt & pepper – 1 teas salt and 1/2 teas pepper
- Mix it up to check the consistency – needed either anther 1/2 c crumbs or try Parmesan
- Opted to try and add 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese – BINGO!
- 2 Tablespoons minced onions
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper or start with a dash until you determine the level of heat you like
- Wash your hands and dig in. MIX, MIX, MIX – combine until all together
- Add 2 Tablespoons oil to large skillet; heat to low – medium
- I use an ice cream scoop and shape “meatballs”; add balls to heated skillet
- Cook each meatball for approximately 5 minutes and turning 2-3 times or until done
ANYWAY YOU WANT IT TIPS:
The toughest part of this entire recipe is getting the darn mixture off your hands. It is similar to super glue. Don’t panic – it will come off (eventually) but worth the washing & washing. Be sure to run hot water in the bowl asap so it is easier to clean later. I have a very tough time eating beef meatballs since finding my chicken recipe. Chicken balls do not get tough like beef can. They go great in a sandwich, pasta/pasta sauce, warm salad or just grabbing and popping in your mouth as you pass the dish. You can adjust any of the amounts above, change spices, etc. and put your name on it. How about super chicken burgers with barrata, mozzarella, tomato, raw onion, lettuce???????